The UN helps countries across the region achieving stability and prosperity. Its activities and programs cover a broad spectrum of issues ranging from peacekeeping and humanitarian to human rights and sustainable development.
While keeping the focus on advancing a just and lasting peace in the region, the UN agencies, funds and programs emphasize on supporting the region to achieve the Millennium Development Goals, implement democratic governance, advance women ‘s contribution in development, provide better public health services etc.
The UN also helps the region monitor and asses its development. In addition to sectoral assessments, the UNDP Arab Human Development Report has become a milestone in the discussion and debate on reforms and policies for human development in the Arab region.
In addition to the Economic commission for Western Asia and the Economic commission for Africa North Africa Office, many UN Agencies, Funds and programs provide support to countries of the Region through regional offices.
- UNDP Arab States
- Economic commission for Western Asia
- The Economic commission for Africa North Africa Office
- UN Human Rights Arab Region
- UNESCO Arab States
- FAO Regional Office for the Near East
- WHO regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean
- UNICEF Arab Region
- UN Women Arab States
- UNFPA_Arab States
- UNEP regional Office for West Asia
- UNEP regional Office for Africa
- UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East-UNRWA
- United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS)
- UN Interim Force in Lebanon
- UN Assistance Mission for Iraq
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the OpT
- United Nations Truce Supervision Organization
- Arab Human Rights Index
- Program on Governance in the Arab Region
- World Food Program
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- UN mission in Syria